ILRI vacancy: Epidemiologist/ Food Safety Expert (closing date 26 March 2014)
Source & more info...: http://ilrijobs.wordpress.com/2014/02/26/ilri-vacancy-epidemiologist-foo...
Agricultural research programs:
The CGIAR Research Program (CRP) on Aquatic Agricultural Systems (AAS) is undertaking research in Barotse, Western Zambia to transform the livelihoods of poor farmers dependent on aquatic systems. The CRP on Agriculture for Nutrition and Health (A4NH) is contributing to this research by providing resources for addressing food safety challenges in this system. The work is linked to a broader portfolio of research on agriculture associated disease in poor countries.
- Project planning, budgeting, implementation and reporting.
- Support meetings and functioning of a Food Safety Advisory Committee.
- Assist in review of material and preliminary scoping studies.
- Assist in development of detailed study design.
- Co-ordinate a rapid assessment of food safety in Western Zambia.
- Co-ordinate additional linked activities to be determined.
- Maintain regular communication with the research team in WorldFish and the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI).
- Assist in development of a phase 2 proposal for risk management.
Essential Skills and Qualifications will include:
- MSc in epidemiology, environmental science, public health or a related degree.
- At least two years experience working on zoonoses/ ecohealth /public health research in developing countries.
- Experience of Zambia an advantage.
- Experience in conducting literature reviews, field surveys, participatory appraisals.
- Experience with sociology, economics, ecology, nutrition, gender analysis, impact assessment an advantage.
- Experience of working in multi- and trans-disciplinary teams.
- Strong English language skills, both written and spoken (proficiency in other language is an advantage).
- Willingness and ability to travel frequently, sometimes to rural areas in developing countries.
Post location: The position will be based in Lusaka, Zambia.
Position level: The position is Research Associate level (4A) dependent on qualifications and experience.
Duration: 2 years fixed term.